Monday, November 3, 2008

October in London


Greetings from London, everyone.

I've spent the month of October settling in to a new routine. It goes something like this:

1. Wake up. See Brian off to work. Make coffee, and search for jobs.
2. Complete several job applications, or work on them until the computer screen makes me cross eyed.
3. Go for a walk. Note any hiring notices in the windows.
4. Make supper.
5. Read, knit, or play this horridly addictive video game called Fable.
6. Sleep. Cough, wake up, cough some more, try to go back to sleep.
7. Repeat.

Actually, I've done a lot more little things than that, but that's basically how things operate. I've had several job interviews so far, and I'm waiting to hear back as to whether I'm hired or not. I'm looking forward to having some work to occupy my brain.

Brian and I wandered down to the Borough Food Market, where I discovered delicious truffles...mounds and mounds of truffles. The food was amazing. We bought some pickled garlic that was fabulous. If I went there every day, I'd be fat by now.

We also ventured out to the Kew gardens (a former palace that is now home to the Royal Botanical Gardens) and wandered about in the wind and rain. Magnificent old trees, a specatcular holly collection, a tree top walk...I was in heaven. I wandered from bush to tree to bush (everything is tagged with its Latin name, I loved it) reading all the tags and mumbling to myself while Brian strolled along in my wake. I can't wait to go back, or to other gardens.

Joel and Anna came to the city last weekend, so we met up and had a peek at the new arrival. Natasha didn't appreciate hotels, it seems, but she didn't seem to mind sleeping on me.

I've been busy playing gigs as well...three in October. A cold has sidelined me this past week, but I'm up and running again on November 18th, when I'll be a main performer in the Clubacoustic sessions at the Queen Boadicea in Angel.

I will be home (rather, in Canada. Where exactly is home these days? I can't figure it out.) in December for several weeks, both in Ontario and in NB.

I stumbled upon a fabulous knitting store and began knitting again. I'll soon have to get a job to support my cashmere habit, I'm afraid. My current project is a scarf for Brian and Christmas presents for the kiddies. Don't tell them if you see them.

On a lark, I signed up for the National Novel Writing contest. It runs for the month of November, and the goal is to write a novel of 50,000 words or more by that time. That's an average of about 1700 words per day. As of today, November 3rd, I've written 1654. Oops. Already behind!!

More news soon!

No comments: