Wednesday, June 25, 2008

"You do it to yourself...you do..."


Don't ask me why the guy in the picture was wearing a Rage shirt to a Radiohead concert, because I don't know.

Radiohead concert? Radiohead concert. In Victoria Park, a large green area in east London. It was a beautiful evening, though it was a little chilly when the sun went down.

I've been enjoying my first few days in London at a very relaxed pace. I sleep in every morning, get up, have my coffee, and plot out my day. Usually it involves wandering aimlessly about, trying to find a bank machine that accepts my bank cards (none of them do, though they are supposed to work.)

Yesterday Brian's flatmates were supposed to be going to this Radiohead concert. They've been planning it for months, as she's a huge fan. It was her birthday present in fact. Unfortunately, she ended up in the hospital with an abcessed wisdom tooth, and we ended up with the tickets.

So off we went to listen to Radiohead. If you aren't familiar with their music, join the club. After they put out OK Computer, I haven't really paid attention to their stuff. I don't mind them, though, and it's really easy to listen to. The concert itself was really great, and the lights were amazing. You can't see really in this photo, but they had a series of ropes hanging from the top of the stage. Throughout the show they shone lights on the ropes to produce different effects, such as rain falling, or flames, or waves. It was really cool. I enjoyed the lights almost as much as I enjoyed the music. Okay, more. But I like bright and shiny things.

The lyrics quoted in the title of this post are from the only song the band played that I actually knew the words to. :)

After the concert ended, we walked along the Regent Canal. It winds its way along through the most beautiful section of plants, warehouse conversions, and flats. Smelling honeysuckle in the dark, we wandered back to the flat. I love smelling flowers in the dark.

Today I'm off to find some camping equipment for this weekend's adventures in Iceland. Yep, Iceland! Brian has been planning a surprise trip for over a month now, so I'm quite excited. We're going to be camping in one of several national parks outside Reykjavik.

Tonight I imagine we'll end up in a pub somewhere watching the football (aka soccer) semi final match from the Euro Cup 2008. I'm cheering for Turkey, mainly because no one else seems to want them to win.

I love and miss you all. Send me a message to let me know how things are on your end.

No comments: