Monday, July 14, 2008

Iceland, Part 3

Okay, so my blog entries were a little long winded. I'll condense this one, mostly because I'm weeks behind and lazy.

We hiked around in the morning, taking lots of photos and climbing a nearby peak. We scrambled out on a nice ledge, but don't tell Brian's mom. Or my mom, come to think of it. Mom, if you're reading this, I was nowhere near the edge. Kinda.

Our bus adventure back into Reykjavik was uneventful. Saturday nights at the hostel campground proved to be busy, but we found a spot and set up hurriedly. Why? Because a free concert was just starting in an adjacent field, with Bjork and Siguros headlining. Yep, only in Iceland.

The concert was packed. The lead singer from Siguros was wandering through the crowd later, stood right behind us, and eventually brushed past on his way for more beer. I was going to ask him to teach me how to play the electric guitar with a bow, but I didn't. That's one opportunity wasted. Sigh.

The next morning we packed our things and jumped on the Blue Lagoon bus. Halfway between the city and the airport, the blue lagoon is a salt water hot pool spa place that is so popular most airport buses stop there. We were quite tired and looked forward to the hot soak.

I have no pictures of the lagoon, because I didn't realize I could take my camera inside. Picture it this way: A barren landscape of sharp, dark volcanic rocks, windswept; vivid light teal waters, bordered by a white salt crust and whirling with steam, bobbing heads, and speedos. It was a wonderful relaxing way to end the trip.

Back to the airport, back to London, back to the flat, all without a hitch. A fantastic surprise trip.

No comments: